What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, yet forfeit his soul? -Mark 8:36
Social media in the land of shiny things, allows virtually anyone the opportunity to affirm and feed your ego with something as simple as a like, follow or retweet button. If you’re not careful, you can end up like our friend over there, hanging out in the pot on the stove. He’s absolutely clueless he’s only a few degrees away from, well, you know…
If you don’t have your ego in check, the seduction of cyber celebrity can take you down fast-really fast. It requires daily surrender for anyone wanting to keep it real and maintain a God-centered perspective online. Be sure you know the warning signs when you get close to danger. Check your temperature often. When the enemy starts messing with you-things can heat up quickly.
Here’s summary of how cyber seduction happens…
1. You start out on social media with a holy intent and a passion for authenticity.
2. You publish what you believe are deep God-inspired thoughts.
3. Your readers experience life-change and are eager to tell you about it.
4. You inadvertently get and accept the nod for being the one that makes a difference in their lives.
5. Your celebrity buzz builds at a nice steady incline and people recognize you both on and offline.
6. You consume all the feedback and then it consumes you. You alter your messages and conversations to keep your followers happily engaged.
7. You obsess over metrics and comparisons are used to assign worth and value to everything you do.
8. You give extraordinary focus to size, reach, and who dominates the influencer lists.
9. You position yourself center to the spotlight where the glory always shines the brightest.
10. Your time and life are defined by your online activities and what’s real just doesn’t matter anymore.
Ken Blanchard and Phil Hodges in their book, Lead Like Jesus: Lessons from the Greatest Leadership Role Model of ALL TIME, explain a person’s ego will either Edge God Out or Exalt God Only. It’s one or the other. Know which condition applies to you and if you need to turn it around-God will give you the grace you need to do it.
What do you think is the most seductive thing about the time you spend online?
Tweet /Post This:
Be diligent in all things to exalt God only. #LiveSticky