By Tami Heim
June arrives this week in its predictable place behind May. It settles comfortably in the middle of this year, even though it feels like a moment ago that January announced another new year beginning. Was it really six months ago that Alece, at Grit & Glory, sweetly disrupted our thinking as usual with the idea of a one-word non-resolution resolution?
Instead of penning the long list of ‘sort-of want-to-do’ resolutions, Alece’s idea was to pick one simple, powerful word, and live by it. Today we’re going back to our sticky one word pick for 2011 – Humility.
So what does it look like to lovingly walk in humility? Let’s review.
Will you walk this way?
1. Show gratitude daily. Look at the world with wide-eyed wonder and appreciate the places where goodness and grace abound. Bundle words of thanks as a gift to those you love. Offer a song of praise in both the easy and hard places. (Colossians 3:17)
2. Be honest. Know your weaknesses and trust God to bridge the gaps. Recognize your gifts and talents, not your own ability. Be eager to receive in love when truth is spoken to you. Wrap the feedback you give in tenderness. (Colossians 3:9-10)
3. Take responsibility. Look in the mirror, not out of the window when things go wrong. Be quick to apologize and seek forgiveness. Own what do and do well what you own. (2 Peter 1:10)
4. Choose contentment. Focus on where you are right now and be anxious for nothing. Carry the burden for those that have less and celebrate those that have more. Accept that the season you are in as exactly where God wants you to be. (Philippians 4:6-7)
5. Affirm others. Share the good you see in others that they may not be able to see in themselves. Value people and let them know they matter to you. Create new possibilities and always believe the best. (Philippians 1:3,27)
6. Move in quiet confidence. Embrace the mercy and grace allotted for you each day, and then give them both away. Know there’s not a mistake you can make that God hasn’t already covered. Remember that same grace covers your neighbor, too.(Isaiah 43:2)
7. Be forgiving. Forgive offenses as soon as they happen. Expect nothing and give everything, no matter how much the world thinks you’ve been wronged. Strive to understand before you’re understood. (Colossians 3:13)
8. Live to serve. Be quick to help, even when it’s not convenient. Offer your best to improve someone’s ideas or situation and ‘gift’ him or her the credit for it. Make following first be the way you lead. Do everything you do all for Him. (Colossians 3:23,24)
9. Be teachable. Keep your heart wide open. Admit what you don’t know and allow people to pour into your life. Let all you learn bless and be a blessing to others. (Jeremiah 33:3)
10. Extend kindness. Approach each day with gentleness and generousity. Find unexpected ways to surprise and bring delight. Give in secret what only you can give. (Romans 12:10,11,13)
Are there some things that you wanted to do differently when this year started? Post them here to strengthen or renew your resolve and we’ll pray over them for you.
Humility opens the door to wisdom and enables your heart to follow closely where the Spirit leads. – #LiveSticky