“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” ~Jeremiah 29:11
by Toni Birdsong
Jeremiah 29:11 is one of the most quoted scriptures of all time. And therein lies the rub.
We sing it, shout it, and share it with strangers—but still, like so many familiar scriptures, God’s words to Jeremiah have yet to arrest and take us captive. Why is it that the slightest crisis can so easily eclipse our hope?
Perhaps it’s because the one thing needed to ignite God’s power, is the one thing we refuse to fully render: trust.
And there it is. Whether we admit it or not, so many of us simply don’t trust God. We don’t trust that His plan is better than the plans we’ve sketched out in private. We don’t trust His pace or His process. Soon the prosperity, protection, and hope of Jeremiah 29:11 become possibilities rather than eternal promises from holy God.
No one sets out to un-trust God. But it happens. In the turbulence of everyday life our trust doesn’t always survive the ride. But that’s okay—you are not alone. God is with you and understands that trust is a process.
So how do you get back on the trust track?
- Confess your lack of trust. Read Psalm 51:17; Psalm 86:11; Psalm 51:10
- Ask God to re-deposit a hunger for His Word into your heart. Read Psalm 40:8; Hebrews 4:12
- Recommit the details of your life—big and small—to God. Read Psalm 37:5
- Repeat steps 1, 2 & 3 each day until your trust returns.
Here are 30 scriptures to get your hope soaring again:
- You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you, because he trusts in you. Trust in the Lord forever, for the Lord God is an everlasting rock. Isaiah 26:3-4
- Can all your worries add a single moment to your life? Of course not. Matt. 6:27
- Commit your way to the Lord; trust in him, and he will act. He will bring forth your righteousness as the light, and your justice as the noonday. Psalm 37:3-6
- Those who trust in the Lord are like Mount Zion, which cannot be moved, but abides forever. As the mountains surround Jerusalem, so the Lord surrounds his people, from this time forth and forevermore. Psalm 125:1-2
- He shall not be afraid of evil tidings; his heart is firmly fixed, trusting in the Lord. Psalm 112:7
- But as for me, I trust in You, O Lord; I say, “You are my God.” My times are in Your hand. Psalm 31:14-15
- It is better to trust and take refuge in the Lord than to put confidence in man. Psalm 118:8
- But my eyes are toward You, O God the Lord; in You do I trust and take refuge; pour not out my life nor leave it destitute and bare. Psalm 141:8
- Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths. Proverbs 3:5-6
- May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in hope. Romans 15:13
- Look to the Lord and his strength; seek his face always. Psalm 105:4
- We do not look at the things which are seen but at the things which are not seen. For the things which are seen are temporary, but the things which are not seen are eternal. 2 Cor. 4:18
- The Lord hears his people when they call to him for help. He rescues them from all their troubles. Psalm 34:17
- Faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God. Romans 10:17
- Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God, and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. Phil. 4:6
- I cast all my cares on You O Lord for You care for me. 1 Peter 5:7
- You O Lord shall supply all my need according to Your riches in glory through Christ Jesus. Phil. 4:19
- Now to You, O Lord, who is able to do exceedingly and abundantly above all that we can ask or think according to the power that works in us. Eph.3:20
- Now this is the confidence that we have in Him, that if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us. And if we know that He hears us, whatever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we have asked of Him. 1 John 5:14
- Command those who are rich in this present age not to be haughty, nor to trust in uncertain riches but in the living God, who gives us richly all things to enjoy. Let them do good, that they be rich in good works, ready to give, willing to share, storing up for themselves a good foundation for the time to come, that they may lay hold on eternal life. 1 Tim. 6:17
- For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38-39
- But You, O Lord, are a shield about me, My glory, and the One who lifts my head. Psalm 3:3
- And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ. Philippians 1:6
- And this is the confidence that we have toward him, that if we ask anything according to his will he hears us. And if we know that he hears us in whatever we ask, we know that we have the requests that we have asked of him. 1 John 5:14-15
- The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life; of whom shall I be afraid. Psalm 27:1
- Behold, I am the Lord, the God of all flesh; is anything too difficult for Me? Jeremiah 32:27
- Our fathers trusted in thee: they trusted, and thou didst deliver them. Psalm 22:4
- Not by might nor by power but by my Spirit says the Lord God Almighty. Zechariah 4:6
- For everyone born of God overcomes the world. This is the victory that has overcome the world, even our faith. 1 John 5:4
- Be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid of them! The Lord your God will go ahead of you. He will neither fail you nor forsake you. Deut. 31:6
What verse do you turn to when your trust and strength are low? Please share . . .
Trust Me with this. My ways are not your ways. (You can thank me for that one later.) Love, God