By Tami Heim
Jesus commands His followers to love God and love people. Every connection He makes serves to emphasize this point. By invitation, He forgives, redeems, and introduces His Kingdom in real-time.
When one of the Pharisees invited Jesus to have dinner with him, he went to the Pharisee’s house and reclined at the table.
~ Luke 7:36, NIV
Jesus loves and leverages the power of story. With them, He resets cultural boundaries, rocks the status quo, and accentuates a love beyond the law that few comprehend. Stories with unprecedented compassion and forgiveness relocate hearts to foreign and uncomfortable places. His holy agenda permeates what He says and all He does.
And behold, a woman in the city who was a sinner, when she knew that Jesus sat at the table in the Pharisee’s house, brought an alabaster flask of fragrant oil, and stood at His feet behind Him weeping; and she began to wash His feet with her tears; and wiped them with the hair of her head; and she kissed His feet and anointed them with fragrant oil.
~ Luke 7:37-39
Jesus correlates debts forgiven with degrees of gratitude. The dinner party witnesses the point being lived out lavishly before them. Jesus, a broken alabaster flask, fragrant oil mixed with tears, and a repentant sinner command center stage. Jesus embraces everything about this moment, delivering profoundly the big idea to the Pharisees.
How is it possible to miss the sacred exchange between extraordinary forgiveness and love?
The Pharisees do. Sadly, they add yet another loss to their tally in such a time as this.
What about you?
Is your heart open to the story and the extraordinary exchange? Is the significance of God’s big idea transforming you? What’s your position in this technologically enabled world? Are you bringing the Kingdom closer in such a time as this? Will you follow His lead and make every moment count for eternity?
7 Ways to be certain you don’t miss the point
- Open your heart. Pray for wisdom and the heart to see what He sees. Look for others online that aren’t like you and don’t share your beliefs. Be willing to be friends, follow their posts, and hang in their circles.
- Go where He leads. Ask God to lead you to new platforms and new people. Go in and be bold. Regardless how it might look right now, His dominion is over all things.
- See the eternal possibility in people. Imagine what’s possible if someone of great celebrity and influence proclaims Jesus. Their transformation alone could be the witness that impacts millions.
- Accept people right where they are. Those leading technology and contemporary culture have powerful influence. Go where they are and recognize they’re not where they need to be on the eternal timeline. Accept that you might be the one God uses to get them there.
- Share your story. Engage in the conversation and let the story of your life be known. Remember that God uses your story to advance His own.
- Speak the Truth. Stay on point and deposit truth and grace with every word you release. Eternity is serious business and you are an ambassador charged to deliver this good news.
- Trust the Holy Spirit to complete the work. Rejoice in whatever role you play in the master plan. Do your part and be confident He will do His.
Therefore, I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven—as her great love has shown. But whoever has been forgiven little loves little.
– Luke 7:47
What does His lavish love compel you to do? What keeps His people from gaining cyber ground for His glory?
Love God. Love people. Now. #LiveSticky
- The Alabaster Box (godswordforwomen.wordpress.com)
- Luke 7:36-50 – The Anointing of Jesus (jamespaulgaard.wordpress.com)
- Rescue from Sinners (wonderingpreacher.wordpress.com)
- A Pharisee, A Sinful Woman, and the Savior (brakeman1.wordpress.com)